►Your Auction is like this CarouselJuly 14, 2013 - Author: Jenelle Taylor, CAI BAS
I had to smile at this lovely one-page story in today’s Parade newspaper insert, “Riding High: A Struggling Town Creates a Little Magic.”
I saw so many parallels to charities I work for:
- affected by the economy
- needing to reinvent itself
- it began with one person’s idea
- folks were skeptical at the start
- started with only $150!
And I see several inspiring lessons in this uplifting tale:
- get small parts of your big picture dream sponsored by supporters
- use every person’s connections to call in favors and ask for whatever you need to be given (‘somebody’s aunt knows somebody’s uncle who comes down to lend a hand.’)
- as parts of your larger project are completed, promote them around town for visibility
- encourage lots of people in the community to get involved
If you think of your silent and live auction acquisition plan like this amazing carousel project, you can create an auction event for your guests that is unique to your organization and serves to raise your visibility in the community.
Think about what amazing auction package(s) you can design by calling in favors from your supporters. Your idea might be a behind-the-scenes experience at a sporting event or concert, an amazing private dining event with music, luxury transportation, and fine wines, or a “spa day for six” package. Brainstorm every aspect of the experience you’ll need donated, and then ask everyone to call in favors from folks they already know (no cold-calling required!). As you get great auction items confirmed, promote them on your website, on Twitter updates, and on your Facebook page.
You’ll gradually build support for unusual, creative auction offerings which raise your profile in the community and involve many supporters in your future success.
Categories: Better Buyers, Charity, Consulting, Event Logistics, Live Auctions, Sponsors - Tag: consultation, consulting, GALA GAL Jenelle Taylor, live auction, logistics, marketing, mission, social media